We are looking for an experienced Designer to join us in our spacious and light studio in central Wellington.
You will have proven creative ability in design research and development with extensive commercial knowledge in all aspects of garment design, pattern-making and construction, from concept sketch to final sales sample.
This is a newly created role working alongside our Head Designer.
Kowtow is a global, sustainable and ethical clothing label, stocked in over 250 stores worldwide. We present our collections each season in Copenhagen, Berlin, London, Paris, New York, Melbourne and Wellington.
- Assist Head Designer with research to create seasonal themes and fabric developments through mood boards
- Responsible for the development of designs from sketch to production-ready products across multiple product categories, in line with Kowtow aesthetic and ethical and sustainable credentials
- Develop new shapes and finishes through drape and flat pattern making
- Prepare & fit toiles in-house for presentation to Head Designer
- Create and update flat drawings using Adobe Illustrator. Collate and communicate all information required for specification sheets
- Work closely with Senior Pattern-Maker and Production team to ensure consistent high quality in fit and construction of samples and production
- Participate actively in ensuring the design studio runs efficiently & is well organised to meet deadlines
- Report to Head Designer
Candidates will require:
- Relevant tertiary qualification in fashion design and technology
- Minimum 3-4 years industry experience in fashion design
- Extensive experience and knowledge in womenswear design across woven & knitwear. Designing denim and/or swimwear is a plus
- Excellent knowledge of fabric and garment construction with a great eye for detail and fit
- Comprehensive knowledge of both flat pattern cutting and draping, ability in CAD patternmaking would be ideal
- Understanding of and ability to communicate the Kowtow aesthetic in design
- Mac literate including Photoshop & Illustrator
- Must be collaborative and organised with great initiative to juggle multiple tasks. Deadline driven and will work calmly in a fast-paced, creative team environment
Ideally you also understand what sustainability means and live a conscious lifestyle.
Only applicants with a design portfolio will be considered. This is not a graduate position.
40 hrs per week Monday to Friday, 8am - 4:30pm
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Please email cover letter, portfolio and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close 26th May 2019